Sunday 17 November 2013

Week #9 Reflection - Mind Your Digital Manners, VoiceThread (Sewcool) and Right/Wrong Scenario #2 Discussions

 This week our focus continued with the collaborative work tools, continued understanding of Digital Citizenship, and a review of what I see as basic Netiquette guidelines.  

In the Netiquette Tips readings, there were three titles; No Need to Respond to Rude E-mails, Top 10 Scariest Email “Boo-Boos”!, and “How to Nicely Ask…”.

Miss Manners
McLeod, J. (2012) 
http://www.topshelfcomix.com
/comix/miss_manners/
miss_manners_01.gif
It was similar to the old style advice column (Miss Manners) and I really enjoyed the read.  I must say that I could relate to each of the three situations and have found myself (past tense) a rather rude emailer - especially if I found the email accusatory or disrespectful.  I learned after one particularly ill placed response, that it is not always about what you say, but the tone of an email can change the whole level of communication you are engaging in.  I now take the advise about taking a deep breath and reading your response email at least 10 minutes after you write it...lol...I do this now and always keep in mind that my words are permanent and will go public!  How good/bad do I look in the note?

I also found the 101 E-mail Etiquette downloadable book on the Net Manners site really good sound advise to keep handy (both for personal use and to share with my students).  I also like the approach Judith takes to how you pay for your e-book - 'Pay with a Tweet or a FaceBook post' (as a marketer I can appreciate this approach).
Download for free if you pay with a Tweet!
Pay With A Tweet or
Facebook (2012)
http://www.paywithatweet.com/

I continued to explore the Net Manners site and stumbled upon the Privacy & Security page.  This tied in nicely with our Rights & Responsibilities work last week.  Although privacy was included in my submission, I thought my research partner +Mary Lou Siviero's summary so very excellent!  In her summary, +Mary Lou Siviero share with us that:
"Digital Responsibilities: Digital citizens have the responsibility to respect and adhere to, privacy policies, rules and, regulations. Citizens will not misuse privacy information for illegal acts or, for personal gain without consent" (Siviero, 2013).
Ms. Net Manners - Judith Kallos - demonstrates this right to privacy so very well on her page, it brought to light that Digital Rights and Responsibilities are vital to share and educate all our students, families, and friends about.

Several of our assigned readings, web searches and exploration tasks were quite disappointing this week.  I found that at least 60% of the links on the various sites we were to explore (in particular those on PollDaddy.com and Rudebusters.com), were not working - frustrating as I did want more information on these topics.

The balance of the Building Background readings were great review and nothing all that new for me.  I did tag all of them in my continued Content Curation ScoopIt site for this class (hope you are reading it or using it as a resource site).

Ironbrigade (2011)
http://www.mtlsd.org/mellon/teams
/ironbrigade/images/voicethread%
20logo.jpg
We were also introduced to VoiceThread this week.   As I progressed through the Building Background exercises, I found myself not turned on by a tool (for the first time this semester!).  But why?  Perhaps the examples just didn't do it for me?  My VoiceThread blog outlines in detail my thoughts on this exercise.

The second learning activity this week, involved using blogs as discussion forums.  We were each able to choose from a selection of scenarios outlined in our Digital Citizenship in Schools text (Ribble, 2011).  My scenario #2, spoke about a young woman and her addiction to facebook.  My blog forum for this scenario can be reviewed and commented on by clicking here.  I am looking forward to your thoughts.

I had the opportunity to respond to several of my classmates scenarios.  Jeff & Jamie, Hilary & Mary, and Linda & Sean.
Great Scenarios by all!

Captain Jack Sparrow (2009)
http://img.photobucket.com/
albums/v101/mandustries/
Choco%20and%20CC/Fictional%
20Fancies/sparrow1.jpeg
Well I am done for this week - 3 Blogs is a lot of work, but great learning.  Digital Citizenship is becoming a comfortable practice for me and I look forward to taking my new found "Digital Suave" out to the world I live and work in daily.









 


References:


McLeod, J. (Artist). Miss Manners [Web Drawing]. Retrieved from http://www.topshelfcomix.com/comix/miss_manners/miss_manners_01.gif 
 Ribble, M. (2011). Digital citizenship in schools (2nd Ed.). Washington, D.C:  International Society for Technology in Education
 Siviero, M. (2013). digital responsibilities discussion forum / mary lou's top three. Informally published manuscript, Bachelor of Adult Education, Brock University, Toronto, ON, Toronto, Ontario Canada. Retrieved from https://lms.brocku.ca/portal/site/ADED1P32D02FW2013WWW002/page/04297ea8-629a-4568-af70-db23a74cd3da

No comments:

Post a Comment